What kid doesn’t love graphic novels? Here is a collection from around the world:
By Nanette McGuinness
If you’re looking for diverse, multi-ethnic stories for children based in today’s multicultural world, you will want to visit the rich universe of graphic novels. To add to the September celebration of children’s books in translation, below is a brief list of graphic novels for children translated into English over the past five years. Feel free to send other titles to me: if I hear that I’ve missed more than a few between now and the end of #WorldKitLitMonth this year, I’ll gladly update this list to include them.
1. Ariol Graphic Novels #1-10, by Emmanuel Guibert and Marc Boutavant, translated by Joe Johnson. Papercutz, 2013-2018
3. The Big Bad Fox, by Benjamin Renner, translated by Joe Johnson. First Second Books, 2017
4. Cici’s Journal: The Adventures of a Writer-in-Training, by Joris Chamberlain and Aurélie Neyret, translated by Carol Klio Burrell. First Second, 2017
5. Dance Class Graphic Novels #1-9, by Beka and Crip, translated by Joe Johnson. Papercutz, 2013-16.
6. Dinosaurs Graphic Novels #1-4, by Arnaud Plumeri and Bloz, translated by Nanette McGuinness. Papercutz, 2014-2015
7. Disney Great Parodies #1: Mickey’s Inferno, by Disney, Guido Martina, Angelo Bialotta, adapted by Stephan Petrucha, translated by Nanette McGuinness. Papercutz, 2016
8. Geronimo Stilton Graphic Novels #12-19, by Geronimo Stilton, translated by Nanette McGuinness. Papercutz, 2013-2018
10. Hotel Strange #1-4, by Florian and Katherine Ferrier, translated by Carol Klio Burrell. Graphic Universe, 2015-17
11. Mr. Badger and Mrs. Fox (#5-6),by Brigitte Luciani and Eve Tharlet, translated by Edward Gauvin. Graphic Universe, 2014, 2018
12. The School of Nonsense: Ernest and Rebecca Graphic Novels #5, by Guillaume Bianco and Antonello Dalena, translated by Joe Johnson. Papercutz, 2014
13. Sea Creatures #1-2, by Christophe Cazenove and Thierry Jytery, translated by Nanette McGuinness. Papercutz, 2017
14. The Smurfs #10-23, by Peyo, translated by Joe Johnson. Papercutz, 2013-2018
15. Sybil the Backpack Fairy #4: Princess Nina and #5: The Dragon Dance, by Rodrigue, Manuela Razzi, and Antonella Dalena, translated by Joe Johnson. Papercutz, 2013-2015
16. The Sisters Graphic Novels, by Willliam Maury and Christophe Cazenove, v. 1 translated by Nanette McGuinness and Anne and Owen Smith, v. 2, translated by Anne and Owen Smith, v. 3-4 translated by Nanette McGuinness. Papercutz, 2016-2017
17. Thea Stilton Graphic Novels, #1-8, by Thea Stilton, translated by Nanette McGuinness. Papercutz, 2013-2018
18. Tib and Tumtum, by Grimaldi and Bannister, translated by Carol Klio Burrell. Graphic Universe, 2013-2014
19. A Bag of Marbles, by Joseph Joffo, adapted by Vincent Bailly and Kris, translated by Edward Gauvin. Graphic Universe, 2013
21 California Dreamin’: Cass Elliot Before The Mamas & the Papas, by Pénélope Bagieu, translated by Nanette McGuinness. First Second, 2017
22. Castle in the Stars, #1-2, by Alex Alice, translated by Anne and Owen Smith. First Second, 2017-18
23. I Remember Beirut, by Zeina Abirached, translated by Edward Gauvin. Graphic Universe, 2014
24. Jane, the Fox, and Me, by Fanny Britt and Isabelle Arsenault, translated by Christine Morelli. Groundwood Books, 2013.
25. Luisa: Now and Then, by Carole Maurel, adapted by Mariko Tamaki, translated by Nanette McGuinness. Humanoids, 2018
26. Poppies of Iraq, by Brigitte Findakly and Lewis Trondheim, translated by Helge Dascher. Drawn and Quarterly, 2017
27. Superman Isn’t Jewish, by Jimmy Bemon and Emilie Boudet, translated by Nanette McGuinness. Humanoids, (forthcoming, Oct. 2, 2018)
Award-winning opera singer, voice talent, and literary translator Nanette McGuinness has translated nearly 50 books for children and adults from French and Italian into English, including California Dreamin’: Cass Elliott Before The Mamas & the Papas (2018 YALSA Great Graphic Novels for Teens), Luisa: Now and Then, No Pasaran: Sin Ilusion, the much-loved Geronimo Stilton Graphic Novels with Papercutz, Dinosaurs Graphic Novels, Thea Stilton Graphic Novels, Sea Creatures 1&2, and The Sisters Graphic Novels. Her next translation due out is Superman Isn’t Jewish (Humanoids, upcoming October 2018).